Saturday, December 29, 2007

Ἐν ἀρχῇ

I've decided to start writing this blog for a couple of reason. I've learned a lot from those bloggers out there who been kind enough to share their thoughts and so I hope to add to the blog world with my own thoughts. I also hope to use this space to refine my writing and thinking skills. I also need an outlet to write on those things that make a large majority of my friends go cross-eyed when I mention them, things like inaugurated eschatology, and Greek grammar which I’ve been studying on my own.

I choose the title λέων καὶ ἀρνίον based on chapter 5 of the book of Revelation. For those of you who don't read Greek this phrase means Lion and Lamb. As I’ve continued to read and study through the Bible I’ve become increasingly fascinated by the politics of the early Christian Church and their World. One of the things that the book of Revelation does particularly strongly is subvert Roman Imperial claims by presenting the reign of Jesus Christ as the true bringer of salvation and judgment. In my mind there’s not a better image of this then the image of Lion and Lamb that John gives us. Christ is worthy to unveil God’s plan of salvation and redemption as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, but the text is richly suggestive when John sees a lamb looking as if it had been slain.

6 comments:

Phil Sumpter said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Craig. Since I joined three months ago I've had some incredibly rewarding discussions and have made some great contacts. I wish the same for you and look forward to hearing more!

James Pate said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! What you said about Revelation reminds me of a movie I saw yesterday--Apocalypse, with Richard Harris.

T. Michael W. Halcomb said...

I echo the welcome statement. Over at my site Pisteuomen, I have a section strictly for beginning bloggers. If you would like to be included in it, drop me a line over at Pisteuomen and let me know. There are 2 others included in the list as of now. Happy New Year.

www.michaelhalcomb.blogspot.com

Craig said...

Thanks for the welcome guys.

J. P. van de Giessen said...

Welcome to the blogosphere

J. Matthew Barnes said...

Hi Craig! I look forward to reading your blog (I'll get around to reading your post on Mark 2 tomorrow!).

Good luck and write a bunch!